[dsp-alsa-user] trying to get dsp-alsa/trunk/alsa-lib/test/pcm.c compiled and running

John Simpson john at swajime.com
Mon Jul 19 03:27:26 EEST 2010

Howdy,

I'm trying to get dsp-alsa/trunk/alsa-lib/test/pcm.c compiled and
running on my diablo-n810.
Within the directory dsp-alsa/trunk/alsa-lib/ there is no .configure.

The cvscompile script depends on automake, which does not seem to be
installable on the n810?

I try the simple approach:
~/dsp-alsa/trunk/alsa-lib/test $ cc -lasound pcm.c -o pcm
pcm.c: In function `help':
pcm.c:719: warning: use of cast expressions as lvalues is deprecated
~/dsp-alsa/trunk/alsa-lib/test $ ./pcm
Playback device is plughw:0,0
Stream parameters are 44100Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Sine wave rate is 440.0000Hz
Using transfer method: write
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM plughw:0,0
Playback open error: No such file or directory

I changed the string "plughw:0,0" to "default":
~/dsp-alsa/trunk/alsa-lib/test $ ./pcm
Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 44100Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Sine wave rate is 440.0000Hz
Using transfer method: write

The program does nothing further.  I hear no sound.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

What do I need to do to get this to work?

--
John Wesley Simpson
SwaJime's Cove℠