[maemo2midgard] best of maemo highlights

Quim Gil quim.gil at nokia.com
Mon Aug 27 08:27:14 EEST 2007

The last piece to discuss is http://maemo.org/news/best - still hidden
for the users not knowing this URL exist. Ideas to implement once the
rest of social news are ok.

The principle (as far as I see it) is good: news items accumulate karma
and their peak karma is recorded in this /best. Only news with >nn karma
appear here, being the selection somewhat tough (not easy for a news
piece to get here if there is not a clear support in terms of favs or
technorati etc karma.

I'm just missing these different outputs:

- Best of [month]: compiles the news with best karma published in the
specific month.

- Best of [year]: same for year.

- top 40 news from all times (we can leave this for later)  :)

It would be good to have a full copy of the articles hitting these
lists, just in case the source changes or disappears over time (quite
easy nowadays).

/best would show:

- Best news of the current month, listed by karma as now.
- Links to previous months / years archives in the right column (no
latest news as appears now).

The URL schema could be something like

/best/2007/08/

Or something more semantic if you have suggestions.

PS: This came after an idea of Henri and it is not in the original
requirements. I'm happy adding the work needed for the following
improvements via the retainer hours unless it is a considerable amount
of time.

--
Quim Gil - http://maemo.org