first version

Thomas Tanner tanner at gmx.de
Sun Mar 7 23:10:24 EET 2010

Hi *

I've just commited the first version of my scripts for Moebian to the
repository https://garage.maemo.org/scm/?group_id=1382

With those scripts I managed to successfully boot Maemo 5 from /home and SD.
Most files from /usr are symlinked to NAND so that the access is
slightly faster.
All functions except for the phone seem to work.
It is a known problem that startup-pin-query hangs during boot
if you don't boot from NAND. Therefore I had to disable it which
leaves the phone locked :(

The scripts are quite powerful but still highly experimental.
Basically they can set up a rootfs on any ext3 formatted partition (eMMC
or SD, even /home) and copy the required files to it.
You can choose to copy /usr or to symlink it to NAND (mounted in /nand).
You may keep your existing /home/user or create a new one.
The boot scripts start a ssh server and USB networking very early
so that you can control the boot process.
Fanoush's bootmenu is automatically installed and configured.

Please perform a complete backup before installing!
You should start with a freshly flashed firmware (without extras
software) or a copy of it somewhere (e.g. in /home/orig).
If you have moved some directories from /usr to /home
you have to copy them to the /usr on the destination partition first.

the main script is:

installroot dest [src]

dest = the destination
 /dev/* or a mountpoint of your mounted partition, e.g. /mnt
 or /home
src = source, which determines which files from NAND will be symlinked
 optional, by default /

there are some self-explanatory options in installroot (sorry, no
cmdline parsing yet):

mode=link # link or copy content
withopt=no # copy or ignore files in /opt
homedir=keep # link/mount old home (keep) or create new home (new)
bootable=yes # bootable installation

with
mountroot dest
umountroot dest
you can mount the directories for a chroot in Maemo5.

Packages installed in the rootfs will replace the
NAND symlinks with real files.
This basically mimics unionfs or similar solutions
so that NAND is not modified and can be booted independently.

If you installed in /home, you can revert with
cleanroot /home

I have probably forgotten to mention many details
but feel free to ask me.

Good luck!
--
Thomas Tanner ------