[Testingsquad-list] Testing/QA refresh

Iván Gálvez Junquera ivgalvez at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:31:29 EET 2012

OK, I obviously confused the terms as the QA list of packages at Maemo.org
shows votes indicating the voter as "Tester" instead of "Supertester". In
fact all the TMO discussion we already had, considered that Supertester
would be a different role than Tester. You can see the discussion in this
thread <http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82374>.

Correcting my previous email:

*Rationale:*
Lack of testers and maintainers for applications have derived in a lot of
applications getting stuck at Extras Testing  even if they are suitable for
promotion.
We have even reach a situation in which most applications are not even
promoted by their developers to Testing (from Devel) due to the difficulty
to promote to Extras. The whole promotion system is perceived as useless.

*Solution:*
Considering that Maemo community is shrinking, we cannot continue with the
actual process. We need to both fix some issues in the whole process of
promotion and also grant more administrative privileges to Supertesters.

*New members proposed as Supertesters:*
These people have been suggested to become new Supertesters:

Demolition
vi_
ammyt
ivgalvez

Please any one else interested in become a new Superster send an email to
this mailing list.

*Proposed changes for the promotion process:*
This should be the easiest part of the changes that we are proposing.
- Promotion of applications from Testing to Extras should be automatic once
the requirements are fulfilled. No need of maintainer to actively promoting
the application.
This will allow orphaned applications to be promoted.

- Only one Supertester vote, enough to promote an application.
- Five User votes, enough to promote an application.
We are running out of man power.

All other criteria could be maintained as they are now.

Proposed new permissions/abilities for Supertesters:
- Add a new developer to maintainer list of any package.
- Delete a package from the repository.
- Edit bugtracker link.
- Ability to promote a package not only from Testing to Extras but also
from Devel to Testing.
- Ability to downgrade a package from Extras to Testing, and even to Devel.
- Ability to prevent automatic promotion of a package from Testing to
Extras (to avoid popular but potentially dangerous app to be promoted
automatically if reached the number of user votes needed).

So we should try to keep IRC conversation on how to achieve those points
(already discussed at TMO).

Please Henri and Niels, can you provide any preference on when to have that
meeting?

Regards

--
Iván Gálvez Junquera